Monday, January 3, 2011

Torrenting in the cloud

I want to have my torrents as fast as possible. Since my main computing device is a laptop, I'm not online all of the time: I commute to work, I sometimes sleep (when my children aren't sick), ... So I want an always-on device to take care of my torrenting needs. Luckily, I have a server/router device that is responsible for my Internet access. I installed transmission on this server (actually 2 servers, it's a failover setup. Yes, I'm a geek). In addition, I installed this Google Chrome extension that allows me to manage my torrent application running on my server from within my laptop browser, wherever I go! Whenever I click on a torrent link, it is automatically added to the application on my server and starts downloading. My browser gets notifications about finished downloads, I can see the list of downloads, pause downloads, set speed limits, ... all from within my browser! What is left is a mechanism to import finished download in a (non-existent?) web application that manages my videos and music ...

Here's a screenshot of the torrent extension in Chrome:


1 comment:

  1. Take a look at http://www.bitlet.org

    source: http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/design/web-applications-alternatives-desktop-software/

    ReplyDelete